History

The Foundation of Arts is housed in two buildings, one of which being the Forum Theater (built in 1926) on Monroe and the Arts Education Center on Main. The Forum formerly served at The Strand Theater for decades until eventually being sold to the City of Jonesboro in the 70’s and undergoing a renovation. The FOA was incorporated in 1986 as a consolidation of three artistic groups;  The Jonesboro Fine Arts Council, The Northeast Arkansas Symphony, and The Friends of the Forum.  The groups merged into one organization so that fund raising efforts could be consolidated and better focused on artistic endeavors.  The common thread was their shared vision that the arts were the foundation for youth, families and individuals in building a community with the very best quality of life. The Symphony moved in 2001 to the beautiful Riceland Hall in the Fowler Center on Arkansas State University’s campus, while the Arts Council was absorbed by the Foundation as a part of our programming.  The FOA still maintains our founders’ vision by supporting community theatre in the 650 seat Forum Theater, offering arts education in the 13,000 sq. ft. Arts Center, and engaging in direct charitable activities.